Friday, September 14, 2007

Santa Paula Blanchard Library - International Literacy Day September 8

International Literacy Day September 8
Santa Paula News: 9.5.07

If you can read this, CELEBRATE International Literacy Day, September 8, 2007.

Since 1985, Santa Paula’s Blanchard Library FLAIR literacy program has been providing one-to-one volunteer tutors to help adults with reading, writing and math. Hundreds of adults have achieved success in reaching their literacy goals, ranging from being able to read a children’s book to earning a college degree. Meet a few of them:

“Before I came to FLAIR I couldn’t understand English. Now I speak, read and write it.” – Maria

“I was nervous at first but I took the ESL classes and then got a tutor. I’m learning grammar and cursive penmanship. I’m learning more and more.” – Francisco

“I read to my daughter.” – Luis

“FLAIR has been one of the most important things that has come into our lives. My husband and I have experienced good job opportunities… my daughter and older son have now graduated college.” – Martha

“I appreciate my tutor. She helps me. I want to work in a hospital convalescent home. It’s a good program. I love my library.” – Rosa

“I want a better life for my kids.” – Victor

To help celebrate these (and many other) goals and accomplishments, you can:

• Publicize our literacy program with posters and flyers

• Become a volunteer tutor

• Make a donation, which will receive a match from the California State Library - $6 will bring us $2, $9 will bring us $3, $12 will bring us $4, etc.

Call FLAIR at 525-2384. Happy reading!

No comments: