Thursday, April 10, 2008

Burbank Library - Burbank Library Services Director Sharon Cohen announces the winning team, the Jeopardy Rejects.


Trivia Champions: Burbank Public Library

Burbank Library Services Director Sharon Cohen announces the winning team, the Jeopardy Rejects.
Valley News: Apr 4, 2008 by Louise Paziak

The 2008 Trivia Challenge to benefit the Burbank Public Library's Literacy Services was held at the Castaway Restaurant on March 27. The competition featured 23 teams from local businesses and service organizations who participated in this year's event.

The winners at the end of the evening were the "Jeopardy Rejects," Dale Bailes, Al Vaca, and Cameron Ward.

Money raised from this event helps fund literacy services to the community.


Great night, I had a blast and I hope you made a lot of money for literacy! Please know from someone who puts on events, I know what goes into them and last night was well coordinated and ran very smoothly. You and your staff know how to throw a fundraiser! This was my first year attending and I plan on attending from here on out.

Brady - Leadership Burbank
p.s. I cannot believe we got taken out of the competition on a BEER question!
Adult Learners speech:


"My name is Karine Ghazarian. I am Armenian from Iran. I have 2 children in school.

I moved to the United States because Christians in Islamic Iran couldn't have a safe life and had few opportunities. When my first daughter was born in Iran, we moved to the US. We moved because we believed that the US allowed people from different nations, races, and religions to live together and to complete their own dreams and goals.


I speak 3 languages: Armenian, Farsi, and now English. When I first arrived in the United States, I took ESL classes at a community college. But i wanted to learn more. I decided to participate in the Burbank Library's Literacy program. I started almost 2 years ago.


Participating in the Literacy program has allowed me to learn to read better, to improve my pronunciation, and has made speaking easier. Now, if someone calls and speaks English, I understand more and talk to them in English more comfortably.


The literacy program lets me send notes to my children's teachers and get more information from them.


The literacy program has allowed me to read story books to my children. We read every night and my daughter's English reading and speaking skills have improved.


I am thankful for dear Robyn. She has given me her time and has made me interested in reading novels. I recently completed 'Little Women' by Louisa May Alcott. The literacy program has helped me feel comfortable in speaking and communication, and of course reading in English. I hope Robyn is always safe, happy, and successful."

Thank You.

No comments: