Thursday, March 3, 2011

Orange Co Library - Profile: READ Jr. Tutor Vyvy Pham

Profile: READ Jr. Tutor Vyvy Pham
Read Writes: Feb/Mar 2011

You have often heard us talking in recent years about READ Jr, the new program designed to help our learners with grade school aged children. In this program, teen tutors work with adult learners and their children aged 6-12 years old to help them learn together as a family. The children get direct help with their reading and writing skills, while the parents learn how to better support their children in school. The program has generated a lot of excitement, and we are always looking for new tutors and learner families to help it take off! Here are the words of Vyvy Pham, one of our original READ Jr. tutors:

I first heard of this program through Carol Tsai during the summer going into my junior year. Right before the summer started, I was told by my guidance counselor that I needed community service to make my transcript look better, so I applied as a volunteer for the Friends of the Library Bookstore. Carol Tsai, the volunteer coordinator at the time, gave me my weekly shift at the bookstore for the summer. When I met her for the first time, I asked her if she knew of another way to earn even more community service hours on top of the library shifts. She then told me about how she was trying to get a program to start and that I should attend the first meeting. READ MORE !


No comments: