Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Los Angeles Public Library - We Are Here

We Are Here
by Susie Pae, Los Angeles Public Library Literacy

Women’s Perspectives: Issue 6, 2011 – page 41


When I worked at the post office in New York, I had a very hard time, because some of the workers were racists and prejudiced towards me. I didn’t resist them. I didn’t report it to the union either. At that time, my English was not fluent, so I was not interested in different cultures. Now I’ve learned to enjoy all kinds of different food and cultures, which makes me energetic and strong in my daily life. We can be a rainbow. Even though a rainbow has seven colors, they make a wonderful unified image. My open mind makes me want to learn new things.

After all, we are part of the world. Another quality I discovered in myself became apparent recently. When the copper-gold mine collapsed in Chile, I was reminded of the 6.7 earthquake in Northridge, California. I was stuck in my apartment. First of all, I couldn’t get out of the room. All the furniture had fallen down and blocked the door. That happened at 4am, so I couldn’t see anything in the darkness. As soon as the rescue team came to the apartment, my son shouted to them, “We are here!!” But I closed my son’s mouth right away, because I was afraid of people whom I didn’t know. I thought they would kill us. After they disappeared, my son prayed, “Oh, God. Help us get out of here.” I said, “If I die now, I want to go to heaven with my son.” Finally the sun rose, my neighbors came to my window. I came out of the room through the broken window. All the trees celebrated that I was born again. It was the most difficult event in my life. It made me strong and determined to go on in my life. READ MORE !

Women's Perspectives showcases writings and artwork by adult literacy/basic education students across all levels. These collections provide a forum for ABE learners to consider and further their knowledge about a variety of issues relative to women's experiences that continue to impact their lives. We hope these collections will not only encourage students to reflect and write but to also learn from the each other through their stories and opinions.

No comments: