Friday, September 6, 2013

SCLLN Newsletters - Part 2

SCLLN Member Newsletters
Summer 2013 - Part 2

Huntington Beach - Open Doors
Family Literacy
Kudos to tutor Trina Gaynon, author of 'The Alphabet of Romance.'  Trina Gaynon, a tutor at Oak View Family Literacy, has recently published a book of poetry called "The Alphabet of Romance." Trina's book is a series of poems based on the early days of courtship between her and her husband. Trina has a degree in Creative Writing from University of San Francisco and has been writing "forever."



LAPL - READ
My First Election Day
BY LEARNER LETICIA BUENROSTRO
I was busy all morning trying to finish everything by 3:30 pm to be ready to vote. When I arrived to the polling place I was nervous because it was my first time. The line was very long but when I turned around I was relieved to see a friend, so I went back to stay near her. I asked her, “What do I have to do to vote?”

Newport Beach - Literally Speaking

Each year, Newport/Mesa ProLiteracy publishes a collection of learner writings consisting of stories, personal essays and poetry. Entitled In Our Own Words, the books are distributed at the annual International Literacy Day celebration, this year held on September 12, 2013.





READ OC - READ Writes
The Day the Books Came to Life!
Annual Family Picnic and Appreciation Celebration 2013
  Where were you on the day the books came to life? I hope you joined us for a wonderful day at the park!
  The Friends of READ/OC (FROC) hosted the Annual Family Picnic and Celebration (AFPAC) where all the wonderful READ/OC volunteers were recognized for their time, talents and treasures contributed to literacy efforts throughout Orange County during this past year. The thousands of hours of service this past year from hundreds of volunteers are truly something to celebrate!
  On June 22, 2013, we celebrated “The Day the Books Came to Life” at Irvine Regional Park.

No comments: