Thursday, October 17, 2013

Los Angeles Public Library - The Library is My Playground by Learner


The Library is My Playground by Learner – Susie Pae
LAPL READ: Fall 2013

Hello, everybody! There are lots of learning programs around us, like on the Internet and CDs. Even though we study by ourselves, it is hard to continue. I tried adult school and college, but homework and tests were difficult. One day I stopped by the LA Central Library. There were several people getting together. I asked the librarian, “What is this?” She told me, “It is the literacy center.”

When I joined the first day, I understood only a few words. The more I learn about other cultures, the more I am interested in literacy. To me, literacy means learning and meeting people. Some friends ask me, “Do they give you a degree or some money? Why do you go there instead of lunch with us?” To attend the classes is like daily food. There are writing, conversation, leadership, current events, and a variety of classes.

The library is my playground. It took me a long time to find the right place. We can come or go anytime. When I was a teenager, I liked to read books. My goal was to read a novel in English. When I finished reading my first English novel two years ago, it made me cry. The book was ‘The Old Man and The Sea’ by Ernest Hemingway. It gave me stronger feelings than before.

Last year, I read ‘The Stranger’ by Albert Camus. I hope to read at least one English novel every year. Currently, I am reading ‘The Pearl’ by John Steinbeck. We have learned from a lot of wonderful teachers at the library. They talk about literature, art, music, poems and all kinds of subjects. Also, tutors donate their time and effort.

I think America is a great country because it has many volunteers. Their efforts are so precious that we can feel close over the different cultures. I appreciate the help I receive from the center. In the future, I want to volunteer for any position at the library. Thank you so much to those who support this program.  READ MORE !

No comments: