Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Los Angeles Public Library - It’s a Match Part II Tutor Story


It’s a Match Part II Nora’s Story
READ Newsletter: Fall 2013 by Tutor Nora Novak

Two years ago, I found myself unemployed and growing depressed. After months of agonizing over what to do with my life and wondering how to pull myself out of my funk, it occurred to me that my energy might be better spent helping others. I had plenty of time on my hands after all, and for years I had been interested in volunteering.

I Googled “Los Angeles Volunteer Opportunities” and combed through the hundreds of organizations seeking assistance. I came across LAPL’s Adult Literacy Program and thought it would be a good way to dip a toe into volunteering waters. That’s when my coordinator, Carolyn, introduced me to my learner.

Blanca, a bright and mature twenty-something, received a late diagnosis of Dyslexia. She had learned her ABC’s and could read enough to function independently (in a number of exciting and varied careers, no less). However, she revealed to me that she was constantly looking for ways to improve herself, and she decided it was time for her to dive in and work on her reading and writing.

We’ve been meeting for almost a year now and though our lives have changed with the seasons, we still look forward to our lessons twice a week. We laugh, we share stories, and we learn from each other. Blanca has made remarkable progress of which we are both extremely proud.  READ MORE !

No comments: