Thursday, April 19, 2018

Los Angeles Public Library :: Adult Learner Leadership Institute Success Story By Veronica Torres


Adult Learner Leadership Institute Success Story By Veronica Torres
READ: A newsletter written by students and tutors: Winter 2018

I came to Los Angeles with my mother when I was 12 years old. Since I lived in a Latino neighborhood where everyone spoke Spanish, I never learned to speak or read well. I thought then that it wasn’t important. When I got to be an adult, I realized that you need three things to live well in this country: to read, to speak and to drive, but at that time I could not read or write an email. I might recognize two words out of every sentence. I would have to ask my niece or a friend to read them to me and then I had no privacy. As an adult, I knew that this wasn’t normal and I got sick of it. I felt depressed, low - on the floor.

I have been attending Adult Literacy Tutoring programs at the Washington Irving Library Branch, since 2016, where I had the pleasure to meet Julie Christenson, the coordinator. When she suggested that I attend the ALLI leadership program, I didn’t hesitate to submit the application. A few weeks after I applied, my application was approved, and in April 2017 I had the opportunity to attend the three-day weekend program in Carlsbad, Ca.

It was my first train ride. I was given a nice room at the Holiday Inn with other learners. Both learners and staff were surprised to see someone from LA as I was the first person from LA to attend. I met other adult learners from other regions and together we learned about the role of leadership in Adult literacy. We learned about goal setting, building self-esteem and how to get along with other people. These are important skills for leaders to have. The conference gave me the confidence that I need to accomplish my goals, to advocate for the literacy program, and to become a mentor in my community.

In October, I was invited to return to the ALLI conference in 2018 being held in the City of Redlands to make a presentation to this years’ learners.

I’m excited and looking forward! None of this would be possible without Julie’s love, encouragement and belief in my potential, and I also consider myself lucky to have Melinda Ratlif, my wonderful tutor.  READ MORE >>


Adult Learner Leadership Institute
April 27 – 29
A K Smiley Library
Redlands

No comments: