Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Downey Library - Literacy Month 2007

More on Literacy Month: Donna's update: I spent Monday evening at the Downey Public Library talking about My California with a very enthusiastic group that included many of the city's volunteer reading tutors.

Librarian Claudia Dailey mentioned a surprising statistic: that 27 percent of adults in Los Angeles County are not fully literate. So Claudia and her wonderful band of volunteers spend countless hours all year long helping other adults improve their reading skills.

I'm delighted that the library's tutors and their students are all diving into the narrative travel stories in the My California anthology. And I can't think of a better way to inspire people to read than sharing the work of these 27 great writers.

CaliforniaAuthors.com blog: Sep 19, 2007

No comments: