Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Lompoc Library - Celebrate Literacy Day by becoming a volunteer

Celebrate Literacy Day by becoming a volunteerLompoc Record: 9.04.07 - by Linda Warren

“International Literacy Day” is observed annually on Sept. 8 - this Saturday - to focus attention on worldwide literacy needs. More than 780 million of the world's adults, (nearly two-thirds women) don't know how to read or write. Between 94 and 115 million children lack access to education. Even in one of the richest countries in the world, illiteracy is a very sad fact.

I recently became a tutor, after I retired from a long career, and have been richly blessed by my student. I was trained in a few short evenings and was surprised that I needed no formal education in teaching to become a tutor. I had a friend years before, whose mother had taught others to read in the evening at the library. I thought to myself that I could also become a volunteer someday, once I retired and had more time. I discovered that it only takes a couple of hours a week to be a tutor, meeting twice a week.

My first student is a woman originally from another country, who only completed eighth grade. She is very eager to learn and is an excellent student. She signed up for many reasons, one of which is to be able to communicate with others and advance at her job. We have become friends and enjoy the time that we spend together. Not only do I have an opportunity to teach her to improve her reading skills, but I have also gained a friend.

To address the problem of illiteracy in our community, the Lompoc Public Library established an Adult Reading Program in 1998. In 18 years, the program has assisted more than 1,200 adults with improved reading and writing skills. The program is partly funded by the state library and the City of Lompoc, but contributions from community organizations and individuals assure the program's services will continue.

To become a volunteer tutor or make a tax-free donation, simply call 735-READ or stop by the library during regular hours and check with someone at the desk for more information. The next tutor training workshop starts Sept. 19 in the evening. This is a wonderful opportunity that anyone can do who has the desire to help someone read. It's changed my life and I know that it will change yours as well. Be a tutor and become a friend to someone today. Give the gift of reading today.

Linda Warren is literacy tutor for the Lompoc Public Library.

No comments: