Monday, August 4, 2008

San Diego Co Library - Pure Persistence

Pure Persistence
Learn Alive Newsletter: June/July 2008

When I came to America, I had some goals in my mind. To have a job, buy a home, have my family. And one of the most important goals was to read and write English, to communicate to anybody and not feel embarrassed.


I think I could do much better in my job and have a better opportunity to go a step up. My wife told me that there is a program in the library where they teach one on one.

It’s been almost 35 years that I’ve lived in America. I have gotten some of my goals. I have a great family, a great job. My job is almost my second home. I spend half of my life or more working there.

After these many years, I can read a magazine or newspaper, but I still have a problem with the writing. This is part of my life, some of the things I remember. I remember when I was a child. I liked to play with my bike. When my bike broke, I fixed it or asked my friends to do it for me. One time I built a bike from parts that I borrowed from my friends. When you have a problem in life, there is always a solution. Never stop in life for what you want.

I’m from Guatemala. I lived in Mexico City for almost three years. After that time, I moved to the USA. When I came to the USA, I was 17 years old. I had lots of ideas in my mind. I started working in landscaping and restaurants. I like restaurants because I like to cook and I like the environment. I have been working for The Fish Market almost 27 years. I meet lots of people.

Adolfo Salazar

No comments: