Monday, August 4, 2008

San Diego County Library

Pure Persistence
Learn Alive Newsletter: June/July 2008

When I came to America, I had some goals in my mind. To have a job, buy a home, have my family. And one of the most important goals was to read and write English, to communicate to anybody and not feel embarrassed.

I think I could do much better in my job and have a better opportunity to go a step up. My wife told me that there is a program in the library where they teach one on one.

It’s been almost 35 years that I’ve lived in America. I have gotten some of my goals. I have a great family, a great job. My job is almost my second home. I spend half of my life or more working there.

After these many years, I can read a magazine or newspaper, but I still have a problem with the writing. This is part of my life, some of the things I remember. I remember when I was a child. I liked to play with my bike. When my bike broke, I fixed it or asked my friends to do it for me. One time I built a bike from parts that I borrowed from my friends. When you have a problem in life, there is always a solution. Never stop in life for what you want.

I’m from Guatemala. I lived in Mexico City for almost three years. After that time, I moved to the USA. When I came to the USA, I was 17 years old. I had lots of ideas in my mind. I started working in landscaping and restaurants. I like restaurants because I like to cook and I like the environment. I have been working for The Fish Market almost 27 years. I meet lots of people.

Adolfo Salazar

Donate to SCLLN
Give the gift of reading and writing to adult learners
in library literacy programs from Santa Barbara to San Diego

No comments: