Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Save California Public Library & Literacy Funding

SAVE PUBLIC LIBRARY LITERACY FUNDING !
Letters, Phone Calls, Faxes, Emails

California Library Literacy Services: 2009-2010
$4.558 million budget provided services to low-literacy adults and their families. Return on Investment: Every $1 of state funds leverages $4 in additional funds

Adult Literacy and Families for Literacy105 Public Libraries provided services for:
42,497 Adults
46,983 Children
30,043 Children’s books were distributed
12,098 Volunteers provided 826,002 hours of free tutoring

= $19.34M Using EDD's average California hourly wage figure for 2010 of $23.42

Mobile Library Literacy Services
@ low-income housing developments, migrant camps, daycare centers and health clinics.
14,579 parents and caregivers
32,776 at-risk children (ages 0 - 5)


English Language & Literacy Intensive (ELLI)
9,037 school children struggling to learn English were served
5,137 of their English language learning parents


Most of the local/private funds would not be made available without the state's money to leverage.

Job Outcomes for Adult Learners
59% were able to complete a job application
45% wrote a resume
42% interviewed for a job
28% actually secured a job or were promoted at work


Voting Outcomes for Adult Learners49% were able to vote for the first time
43% became volunteers in their community


Library-based literacy programs are their only hope.
Here's what one adult learner had to say . . . . . .
"I could read a little bit, but not that good, and I've been to almost every prison in California....I lived on the other side and now I'm here and it is nice. It's a big difference. After I get my GED, I plan to go to community college. I want to study accounting. My dream is to come back and help someone else like they helped me."

No comments: