Saturday, June 11, 2011

Newport Beach Library - Snapshot: Damari Guerra, Adult Learner

Snapshot: Damari Guerra, Adult Learner
Newport/Mesa ProLiteracy Newsletter: June/July 2011

In 2008, Damari Guerra -originally from El Salvador- first came to the Newport Beach Public Library’s literacy program (Newport/Mesa ProLiteracy). Damari’s goal was to obtain her GED in order to attend college and find a better job.

She was quickly matched with her tutor, Lynn Pearlman. While working as a child care provider, Damari and Lynn worked to meet her goal and at the end of May 2011, she succeeded. She graduated and received her high school diploma. And, for all of her hard work, Damari earned a $500 Academic Scholarship for Santa Ana College for outstanding grades. She is an inspiration to all of our learners.

Literally Speaking:
What motivated you to come to the Newport Beach Public Library Literacy Program?
Damari: I wanted to improve my English and get help to earn my high school diploma.
Literally Speaking:

Why did you choose obtaining your high school diploma as your goal?
Damari: I would like to go to college and become a nurse.
Literally Speaking:

How did your relationship with your tutor develop over the years and help you to learn?
Damari: My tutor encouraged me to pursue my goals. She helped me with homework and things I didn’t understand.
Literally Speaking:

Now that you are graduating, what are your future plans?
Damari: Now that I am graduating, I plan to go to college and become a nurse.
Literally Speaking:

What are your hobbies?
Damari: I love to read the bible, attend church and hang out with my friends and family.

No comments: