Thursday, July 26, 2018

Carlsbad Library :: Stand Up and Celebrate :: Annual Celebration of Learning


Stand Up and Celebrate!
Learning Connection: July/August 2018

Tutors and learners were honored at the annual Celebration of Learning on June 3. Carlsbad Library and Cultural Arts Department Director Heather Pizzuto, Community Outreach Supervisor Carrie Scott, Carlsbad City Council member Cori Schumacher and Principal Librarian Viktor Sjöberg spoke. Tutors and learners also shared their experiences in the program. Over 70 tutors, learners and guests attended the event at the Carlsbad Senior Center.

Carrie Scott was honored for thirty years in literacy and her leadership of Carlsbad Library Literacy Services. Judy Gaitan was also celebrated for her service with the Carlsbad High School reading class at the Library Learning Center. During the past year, volunteers contributed 10,000 hours to helping learners reach their goals. Currently, 69 tutor and learner pairs meet twice per week.

Reflections on Learning

“As a tutor, I have learned to appreciate just how much of an obstruction illiteracy is to a learner’s daily life.“
~ Tutor Brian C.

“I love my second family at the Learning Center.”
~ Learner Nyla H.

“This center, with the tutors and volunteers who put in the time for us, changes our lives. Before, I couldn’t read emails. Now, I can read them! It’s important to my job.“
~ Learner Ramon G

“I can’t thank you enough. My tutor not only helps me with learning, but with everyday life. I know you are here to help me, and I feel safe.
~ Learner Elaine V.

Aug 7 Adult Literacy Tutor Orientation 12N
Aug 16 Adult Literacy Tutor Orientation 6p

No comments: