Friday, October 13, 2017

Redlands Library :: Reading & Literacy: A Shared Journey

Reading & literacy: A shared journey
Redlands Daily Facts: 10.05.2017 by Don Sprould

Much like the adult learners celebrated recently on Redlands’ Adult Literacy Day at the A.K. Smiley Public Library and Lincoln Shrine, Dr. Francisco Jiménez had come a long way to share in the moment.

When the author and Santa Clara University professor emeritus recently took the podium to discuss his life and book, “The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child,” he had much in common with many of the more than 250 in attendance.


“The Circuit” has been a book club selection in the library’s adult literacy program. As an educator, Jiménez worked to develop inclusive and multi-cultural programs and, as an author, he embraced an audience that shared his passion for learning. “I’m a little bit emotional [at the reception] to tell you the truth,” he confessed.

Quotes posted on the wall of Contemporary Club auditorium spoke of program values and successes of participants. Beneath a sign that read, “Literacy changes lives. Thanks to the Adult Literacy Program,” placards with photos of program participants proclaimed:

“Now I am a United States citizen.

“Now I am able to help my son with his homework.
“We are advocates for our special needs child.
“I have made a new friend.
“I was able to pass my English class and now I am heading to a 4-year college.
“I can read.”


Through the library’s adult literacy program, volunteers help lifelong learners build skills necessary to join the community of readers — a journey that also opens the way to opportunities for more education and the better jobs and lives that come with it.  READ MORE @

No comments: