Friday, October 5, 2018

Los Angeles Public Library :: Writer To Writer 2017


Writer to Writer
READ:  Summer 2018

Writer to Writer is a statewide writing challenge for adult learners in public library literacy programs. Adult learners are invited to read a book of their choice and then write a personal letter to the author of that book, sharing with the author their thoughts and opinions as to how the book affected them.

This year, 86 learners participated in the Writer to Writer challenge. Out of those 86, two learners from the Los Angeles Public Library Adult Literacy Program were recognized for their courageous and inspiring letters: Level 2 Runner-Up Magdalena Ortega and Level 3 Winner Elaheh Kazempour. Here are their award winning submissions!

Magdalena’s letter to Mr. Keyes Dear Mr. Keyes, Your book Flowers for Algernon was brought to my attention by my daughter who is reading it in middle school. She told me the main character named Charlie wanted to be smart. And I can relate to the character because I feel this way also. So as I began to read the story I felt as if it was me you were writing about. I always feel dumb. I decided to read the book because I wanted to know if Charlie had a good outcome. I can relate to Charlie because I struggle with wanting to be smart and I avoid having conversations with people because I am afraid I won’t understand what they might be talking about.

Elaheh’s letter to Charlotte Bronte Dear Charlotte, When I was a teenager, I remember well that I was reading your book Jane Eyre on a cold winter night. I was standing at the window watching snowflakes falling slowly on the ground. Everyone was sleeping. I opened the door and went to the yard. I lay down on the ground with snow sitting on my body and face. It was midnight, and I was very scared. I was wet, cold, and hungry too. Jane, Helen, and all other orphans at Lowood must have felt the same. Through darkness and snow, I saw a figure. It looked like the ghost of a woman. I thought it was you Charlotte. Was it really you or was I imagining things? Were you trying to tell me something? I ran back to my room, and hid under the blanket.  READ MORE >>

No comments: