Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Huntington Beach Library :: Literacy Update - Spring

Literacy Volunteers-HBPL News

Greetings dear reader!

It has been forever and a day since our last newsletter. If you've been staying in touch with us via social media, you'll know how busy we have been in the past few months.

On November 1, 2018 learners and tutors spoke on behalf of the literacy programs for our application for Community Development Block Grant Funds. One of our learners, Maribet, shares her speech in our newsletter. It is a wonderful reminder of why we are all committed to literacy and changing learner's lives.

"Welcome to our Oak View Branch Library. I hope you enjoy this wonderful day and continue to enjoy.  It's an honor to stand here in front of you and at the same time, a challenge for me to say these words in English. My name is Maribet. I am married and God blessed me with a son. He is seven years old and my son is the reason I decided to come to the library and learn English.
Why my son is the reason? I said to myself my son is growing up. He is going to speak English and I want to understand what he says. When my son started kindergarten, the homework they gave him should have been simple for an adult to be able to help him but I could not help him. Not because I didn't want to help him, but I didn't understand what he needed to do. And my son realized that I didn't know English. He asked me "Mami, why do you not understand English, didn't you go to school?"  READ MORE >>

Next Tutor Training
July 10, 17 and 24

Completion of online Tutor Orientation prior to registration is required
Email literacy@surfcity-hb.org for details

714 . 375 . 5102

No comments: