Thursday, January 16, 2020

Los Angeles Public Library ◯ What the Library Means to Me ◯ Adult Literacy Learner Gets a Job

What the Library Means to Me Adult Literacy Learner Gets a Job
LAPL Blog: 1.15.2020 by Randall Hinson, Librarian, Office of Education and Literacy

For 35 years, the Adult Literacy program at the Los Angeles Public Library has helped adults all over Los Angeles improve their reading and writing skills. Today we're sharing two testimonials about Walk-in-Tutors at the Singleton Literacy Center in Central Library; one from Adult Literacy Coordinator Priscilla Rojas-Naiman and the other from Learner Mark Clemons.

Rojas-Naiman shared her experience in helping Clemons:
A happy-go-lucky man entered the Adult Literacy Center for some help with his resume, though he seemed a bit timid as he approached. He was retired but since he had a lot of energy, he wanted to get a part-time job where he could use his big smile and people skills. He asked to use the computer to create a resume. Since he had a Google account, I thought it best to help him create it in Google Docs. He started asking excellent questions about his phone and computer, so we steered him to a Walk-in-Tutor for help. He then indicated that he had an upcoming interview, so he used the Walk-in-Tutor to practice his interview skills, too.

═════════►
Clemons gave praise about his engagement with the library:
I had a purpose in mind by coming to the library. I have a beautiful granddaughter whom I love very much. I also have a daughter-in-law who wants the best for me. My son suggested that I get a cell phone. He decided to get me one, under one condition - that I learn how to use it. I said to myself, 'Where can I go to get help? And who would be willing to help me with my computer?' I thought about it for a while and nothing came to mind.  READ MORE >>

punctuation marks: 29   words: 282  3+ syllable words: 32

No comments: