Sunday, November 15, 2020

Camarena Library ▬ Reflections on COVID-19

Reflections on COVID-19

California
COVID Diaries

Adult Literacy on the Border: 8.04.2020 Clara Auyon

Today's post comes from Clara Auyon who has been in the ALS program for a couple of years now. With the guidance of literacy staff, she decided to participate in the California COVID Diaries project from the California State Library and California Library Literacy Services, and these are her reflections on the impact that COVID-19 has had on her life.

How has your life changed?

My life changed because I had to reorganize my day to day trying to fulfill my personal and professional activities without leaving home. Being in contact with my family, friends, neighbors, virtually, no longer hugging, kissing, meeting or sharing important dates with them in person. We had to implement all the hygiene protocols inside and outside the house, with food and not food as indicated by health authorities. Being at home all day we had to create new activities to fill our free time.

How have you changed?

It made me even more sensitive to the reality experienced by the most vulnerable people, valuing and enjoying what I have, my husband, my kids, my friends, my work, recognizing and investing every minute in what is really worthy, thanking God for being alive, for giving me faith and hope in these difficult times, for having a roof, food. Continuing working to be a better person, more committed to help others.

Important highlights: any silver linings?

We spend more time with my children, family thru WhatsApp, Zoom, etc. I am very happy to share more time with my husband. Before I only saw him Monday to Friday from 10 pm to 8 am. We have time to sharing activities that we like, cooking, watching movies, talking about politics, technology, etc.  READ MORE ➤➤

Camarena Library Adult Literacy Services

These services are offered to adults, 16 years or older who are not enrolled in school, who would like to improve their English reading skills. One-on-one tutoring is available upon enrollment in the program. Volunteers from the community help other improve their English reading and writing skills in this program.

Call the library at (760) 768-2170 to set up an appointment

Readability Consensus
Based on 7 readability formulas:
Grade Level: 9
Reading Level: fairly difficult to read.
Reader's Age: 13-15 yrs. old
(Eighth and Ninth graders) 


No comments: