Monday, April 26, 2021

National City Library ▬ Our Tutor Of The Year, Cris Mendez !

Our Tutor Of The Year, Cris Mendez !

National City Library
Literacy Services

National City Library Literacy Services Newsletter: April 2021

In 1978, I worked at the International Center for Language Studies in Bogota, as an ESL instructor during an extended stay in Colombia. I found the experience rewarding and the eagerness learners displayed inspiring. On my return to the U.S., I enrolled in college, met my future husband, and life continued. Nonetheless, I remembered with fondness my experience teaching ESL to learners, ranging in age 18 to 60, who were seeking employment as flight attendants, in the field of hospitality and tourism to established corporate executives to retirees, stay-at-home mothers, and other delightful individuals.

An ESL Opening and Literacy Services:

Fast-forward to January 2018. An email I received from the literacy services at the National City Public Library highlighted an opening for a volunteer ESL tutor. On the spot, I applied. After orientation, I was asked to lead a class. I entered the classroom with a flutter of butterflies in my stomach, but instantly, I felt at ease. Soon after, I was assigned to tutor a learner preparing for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam. Within a few months, a learner skilled with computers joined, then the third learner, and a wonderful ESL trio was formed. Shortly thereafter, I was offered a group of learners for an evening class followed by another group for a morning class, and the fun amplified.

🔽

Why I Recommend Tutoring:

Whether an individual is a tutor or a learner, everyone has something to contribute. Seek tutoring in math, ESL, computer readiness, writing classes, as well as unconventional classes, such as driver’s license and citizenship test preparation—knowledge is key. I often share with learners: as I am getting older, the more I realize there is still a great deal for me to learn.

Teaching is more than imparting knowledge, it is inspiring change.
Learning is more than absorbing facts, it is acquiring understanding.
 William Arthur Ward
 

READ MORE ➤➤

 
Based on 7 readability formulas:
Grade Level: 10
Reading Level: fairly difficult to read.
Reader's Age: 14-15 yrs. old
(Ninth to Tenth graders)

 

Adult Literacy Services

Helps adults improve their basic reading, spelling, and math skills empowering them to reach their full potential in life.

Are you an adult who needs help with basic reading, math, or computer skills?

Do you need help studying for the GED or citizenship test?

Call to find out if the Library Adult Literacy Program is right for you! 619-470-5860


No comments: