Thursday, May 13, 2021

Huntington Beach Library ▬ National Library Workers Day

National Library Workers Day

Literacy Volunteers
Huntington Beach

Literacy Volunteers HBPL: 4.06.2021

April 6, 2021, is National Library Workers Day (NLWD), a time to recognize library professionals for their expertise and leadership skills in transforming lives and communities through education and lifelong learning. The day also reminds the public that library workers serve as community compasses that lead users to endless opportunities for engagement, enrichment, and development

For #NationalLibraryWorkersDay, we're highlighting the incredible humans who work at Huntington Beach Public Library. This post features one of our librarians, Amy Crepeau!

When I was a child, some of my favorite books involved libraries and librarians and I think that is where my interest began. I remember reading All of a Kind Family and how important library books were to the sisters and the chapter when Sarah lost her library book--the librarian was so compassionate. There were so many examples like this and some, unfortunately, where librarians were the opposite of compassionate but people telling how important libraries were to them inspired me. Beyond that, I love libraries! Programs, storytimes, books, computers, literacy, study space, free to use, people from infants to seniors coming through our doors everday…sign me up! In 2009, I finally decided to go to graduate school to earn my MLIS and the feeling of accomplishment I had in May 2016 when I walked across that virtual stage was far more than earning either my high school or college diplomas.

I have worked at HBPL since April 15, 1997.

I have worked in literacy until March 2021 and the best part was working with amazing learners and volunteers from Huntington Beach and seeing people accomplish important things like reading with their children, getting a better job, passing the driver’s test or becoming U.S. Citizens. It was constantly inspiring and people were so grateful to the library.    READ MORE ➤➤

 
Based on 7 readability formulas:
Grade Level: 13
Reading Level: difficult to read.
Reader's Age: 18-19 yrs. old
(college level entry)


Literacy Volunteers Huntington Beach

Becoming a Literacy tutor at either Central or Oak View starts with the successful completion of Tutor Orientation. Learn all about our program, adults who come to us, and much more.

There will be three (3) places to submit answers.

Once we receive notice you have completed orientation, we will contact you with the next training dates.

If you have questions  call the Central office at 714.375.5102, or Oak View at 714.375.5104.


No comments: