Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Monrovia Library :: Learner Stories


LEARNER STORIES Angela
Literacy Ledger:  Spring 2019

I am an immigrant from Colombia in this country. I began to receive help to improve my English a few years ago with an excellent program of tutoring in the library of Monrovia.

My tutor at that time was a great person, Bryan Smith, who helped me a lot. Now I am accompanied by an excellent tutor, Margaret Page, who every week gives me a lot of help with reading newspapers and books, writing paragraphs, and conversation about different and interesting topics.

Every day I feel that I advance to achieve my goals and that of my tutor.

Many thanks to this program for not only supporting Hispanics but to all the cultures that we find here.

I hope to continue for a long time with this excellent program.

Writing Club
The first and third Monday of the month.
Improve grammar and writing skills, and have fun learning to write better! Write in a group setting and practice writing poems, stories, letters, and more. Share your creativity and voice with others.

Book Club
The group meets every second and fourth Monday of the month.
Improve comprehension, vocabulary, and speaking skills. Gain an understanding of classic and contemporary writings in a small group setting. Become an active reader and learn how to talk better about books.

Culture and Conversation
The group meets every Wednesday
Practice speaking English by discussing and reading the 'News for You' weekly newspaper in a friendly and relaxed setting. Build confidence in your work, school, family and social life.

Speak Easy
The group meets every Thursday
Join us for round-table talking and practice speaking English in a friendly and relaxed setting. New topics weekly, including: popular culture, work and jobs, health, and more. Build confidence in your work, school, family, and social life.

No comments: