Friday, December 18, 2020

Newport Beach Library ▬ GreatNonprofits: Newport Mesa ProLiteracy Reviews & Ratings

GreatNonprofits: Newport Mesa ProLiteracy Reviews & Ratings

Newport/Mesa ProLiteracy

Newport Literacy: 12.17.2020

What a wonderful way to look back at the year!
Thanks to our fans, we have won a 2020 Top-Rated Award from Great Nonprofits!
Read some of the cool stories that folks shared on the site!

Afsi: 10/01/2020

I enrolled for this program about two and a half years ago as a learner. At first, I felt lonely and separated from the community and people around me but step by step I found myself more involved, more active, and more confident. It happened with the help of selfless people who worked tirelessly, with dedication and obligation to prepare an encouraging ambiance for learners like me. They are wonderful volunteer tutors, instructors, and professional staff.

Pedrojlinaresb: 09/29/2020

I’m writing to share a bit of my personal story and experience at the Literacy Program of the Newport Beach Central Library.

In 2017, I arrived to the US from Venezuela to reunite with my family. Even though I was 62 years old, this was a new beginning for me. My first limitation was that I spoke little English, so I enrolled in some of the Literacy Program classes: News You Can Use, Idioms, Grammar and others of the Newport Beach Central Library.

At the same time i was continuing my studies, so recently i receive my GED Certificate

PMcLaughlin: 09/28/2020

I love being a tutor for the Newport/Mesa ProLiteracy program. I have had the privilege of working with several learners over the last seven years. The students are hard-working, enthusiastic, and dedicated to advancing. Each week the time spent with the learner flies by. We have such a good time. Even doing the lesson by FaceTime has not lessened the joy it brings.  READ MORE ➤➤


Newport/Mesa ProLiteracy

The Mission of Newport/Mesa ProLiteracy is to develop the literacy skills of adults to empower them to achieve greater success in their lives - at home, at work and in the community.

Since its inception in 1986, Newport/Mesa ProLiteracy has offered free, one-on-one tutoring and small group classes in basic literacy, to adults who live or work in the Newport Beach area.  The program is open to adults, over 18 years-of-age, who are either native English speakers with low literacy skills or those who learned English as a second language.

New Learner Orientation - Online

January 13
10:00 am - 11:00 am

For those interested in joining the Newport/Mesa ProLiteracy program as a learner, the first step is to attend one of our quarterly orientations. Pre-registration is required and no one will be admitted without a reservation.

Tutor Orientation and Training

Tutors are required to complete online orientation and attend tutor training. Orientation must be completed before attending the training sessions. Online orientations can be taken at any time.

Please be aware that when you take the Online Tutor Orientation (approximately 20 minutes), you must complete and submit the online application at the end of the orientation in order to be scheduled for one of our Tutor Training sessions.

Online Tutor Training Dates
Wednesday, January 20 & 27
10:00am - 12:30pm
949 . 717 . 3874

 

Readability Consensus
Based on 7 readability formulas:
Grade Level: 8
Reading Level: standard / average.
Reader's Age: 12-14 yrs. old
(Seventh and Eighth graders)


No comments: