Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Oceanside Library ▬ Literacy Program Helping Adult Learners Fulfill Lifelong Dreams

Literacy Program In Oceanside Helping Adult Learners Fulfill Lifelong Dreams

Oceanside READS 
10 News: 12.28.2020 by Virginia Cha

It can be easy to take the ability to read for granted, but there's nothing easy about admitting you can't read, especially for adults. Just ask Gary Swimpson.

"I have a 7-year-old grandson that can read better than me," he says, "it hurts. I'm 61 years old, I'm supposed to be reading to him, but I can't let that get me down. I have to keep pushing forward."

Pushing forward is Gary's mantra. He exudes positivity, but it wasn't always that way.

"As far as my background, where I come from, 'the hood' and all that, you know I made a lot of bad choices coming up and so I'm trying to do the right thing in life for the first time in my life."

He says the hardest part of his journey has been having the strength to continue pushing himself to do it.

"When you never read growing up and now you're in your fifties or sixties and you try it, it's a challenge."

When Gary moved from Los Angeles to Oceanside, he decided it was time for a fresh start, beginning about a year and a half ago with the Oceanside READS Learning Center.

Chelsea Genack Eggli, the literacy coordinator for Oceanside Public Library, said, "It takes a lot of courage and it takes a lot of strength to go back to school when somebody is older in life," she says.  WATCH 02:30


For More Information
call 760-435-5680 or email  READS@oceansideca.org
Become a Tutor
Click here to learn more about how to become a literacy tutor.


Readability Consensus
Based on 7 readability formulas:
Grade Level: 7
Reading Level: fairly easy to read.
Reader's Age: 11-13 yrs. old
(Sixth and Seventh graders)


No comments: