Saturday, September 22, 2018

Los Angeles Public Library :: September Spotlight on Adult Literacy


September Spotlight on Adult Literacy
LAPL Blog: 9.21.2018 by Kelly Tyler, Senior Librarian, Lifelong Learning

September is National Literacy Month and we want to thank all of our volunteers for the amazing and selfless work they do in support of adult literacy. Every day, all across Los Angeles, they take time out of their busy lives to help other Angelenos learn to read.

While the adult literacy program has many different resources, from self-study tools like Cell-Ed and group conversation classes for English language learners, the foundation of our program is the special relationship between a tutor and learner in one-on-one tutoring. Meeting twice a week over months or years, our pairs develop a mutually rewarding bond that allows adult learners to succeed in their literacy pursuits.

The story of Carmen and Lorena is a perfect example of this bond. In their own words, they tell us about their experience:

My name is Lorena Lordanic, I am 25 years old, and a proud adult literacy tutor. I have had the pleasure of being an adult literacy tutor for an entire year. Last February 2017, I was looking for a way to give my time in order to help someone else.

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Carmen Chavez. I'm 67 years old. I'm unemployed now, and I decided to join the adult literacy program at Wilmington Branch Library because I want to get a better job.  READ MORE >>

No comments: